A smoke alarm alerted residents of a North Highlands home to a non-injury blaze that displaced them and caused more than $200,000 damage, a fire official said Sunday.
The blaze was reported shortly after 10 a.m. in the 7400 block of Esteem Drive, where firefighters found the garage engulfed in flames, Sacramento Metropolitan District fire information officer Rashawn Fulcher wrote in a news release.
Flames extended into the attic and some firefighters began fighting the blaze, while others searched the home to ensure everyone was out, Fulcher said.
Some 24 firefighters contained the flames to the garage and attic but it still caused $260,000 damage, most of it to personal property, Fulcher said.
Red Cross volunteers assisted the residents with temporary housing and other needs.
Fire officials remind residents to keep smoke alarms in working order, checking them every month and changing the batteries twice a year when clocks are changed seasonally.